About

aysin_alpWelcome to my blog!

My name is Ayşin Alp.  During my 30-year education career, I have worked as an English teacher, university instructor, vice principal, and English department head. Currently, I am working as a consultant and teacher trainer. You can find me posting on this blog where I will be writing about learning and leading in the 21st century with regular updates.

I strongly believe that we have to make use of creative technology to expand each person’s creative ability to meet the demands of the century we live in. Teaching today is inseparable from ICT and all teachers should be trained to be able to use the new technology effectively in their classes. In fact, it is the new technology today that made us rethink everything we have learned about education and provided us with the information we need to do it. However, using technology doesn’t always mean that you are a 21st century teacher. Unless we combine technology with contemporary teaching methods, making use of the new  discoveries in neuroscience and unless we ensure that the educators who work in our schools are learning experts – that they understand the process of learning and how it varies from one student to another, we can’t end up with creative, innovative, self-directed,  self-motivated, lifelong learners that the 21st century workplaces and social life require.

Instead of focusing on the test scores and measuring students’ and teachers’ performance with them, we should focus on the learning process, thinking and inquiry-based models combined with ICT.  Therefore, all principals and teachers should be fully involved in making learning the core business of the schools. This approach will improve the test scores in the long run anyway if we really ‘own’ the process. However, we should keep in mind that success in these test scores doesn’t guarantee success in life in the 21st century as most of these tests don’t measure the skills required by the 21st century.

With all these in mind, I decided to set up this blog to share resources and to explore, exchange and create ideas so that our students can learn to become lifelong learners in environments facilitating the active, participative, interactive, reflective and creative, processes that bring learning to life. Everyone is welcome to give feedback and to contribute by sharing ideas and resources.

If you want me to give a presentation at your institution to train your teachers, you can contact me via my blog or my mail  aysin.alp1@gmail.com.

My Presentations are:

• STRATEGIES FOR REACHING ALL LEARNERS IN READING AND WRITING CLASSES
  • A FRESH LOOK ON TEACHING VOCABULARY
  • MAKING LEARNING STICK
  • FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT IN DISTANCE AND FACE TO FACE LEARNING
  • MAKING LEARNING VISIBLE: VISIBLE THINKING ROUTINES
  • HIGH QUALITY INSTRUCTION WITH HYPERDOCS IN INNOVATIVE CLASSROOMS
  • GENIUS HOUR: A YEAR-LONG ACTIVITY FOSTERING CREATIVITY, PASSION, AND WONDER

Best regards,

Ayşin Alp

print